Knebworth Twinned with Châtelaillon-Plage Welcome to Knebworth Village
  

Useful Links

Bulletin Board

Strange but true!

A sneeze travels out your mouth at over 100 m.p.h. !!

Get Connected

Use our
Ready Shopper
for easy access to some useful retail outlets

Search website

Use the Site Map to locate a specific page

 
 

LOCAL HISTORY

KNEBWORTH lies near the southernmost edge of the North Hertfordshire district, between Stevenage New Town to the North and Old Welwyn to the South.

There is evidence of habitation since Neolithic times and occupation in or near Knebworth in the Bronze Age, although there is little to support any Roman occupation. It is likely that a small community may have been started at Knebworth between the 5th and 7th centuries, inhabited by Saxons.

The first written evidence of occupation is in the Domesday Book when it was called Chenepworde – meaning the farm belonging to Cnebba. The census taken in 1086 indicated a population of about 153 people. Census figures for 1991 showed an increase to 4,028 and a further increase to 4,433 according to the 2001 census (still under review).

Ownership of Knebworth continued in various baronial families until passed to the crown in 1517. Between 1346 and 1492 various families held the manor, until 1492 when Thomas Bourghchier sold the reversion to Robert Lytton. The village of Knebworth formed by tenements, farms and land grew up around the manor.

 

Knebworth House
Knebworth House

(View from the   rear gardens)

Knebworth House, one of the great houses of Hertfordshire, stands in the grounds of Knebworth Park and has been the home of the Lytton family for over 500 years. The grounds now form a Country Park with picnic areas and many other facilities, which together with the house are open to the public. It has been the venue for Pop and Classical concerts.
Within the grounds of Knebworth Park lies St. Mary’s Parish Church, the nave and chancel of which date back to 1120 A.D. Three hundred years later a tower was erected, and the North chapel was added in 1520.

St. Mary's Parish Church
St. Mary's Parish Church

In 1886, the Scots farmers working in the district established their own church using the local blacksmith’s shop in Station Road. This was replaced in 1887 by a new Congregational Church, later to become the United Reformed Church in 1973. Trinity Church, Methodist/URC situated in Park Lane was formed by uniting the former Knebworth Methodist and Knebworth United Reformed Churches in 1996. The present building was extended and refurbished in 2000.

By the late 19th century, Knebworth had expanded, mainly due to the proximity of the Great North Road, and the opening of Knebworth railway station in 1884. A new community grew up and became New Knebworth, (the ‘New’ has since been dropped), whilst the original community around Knebworth House and the Parish Church became Old Knebworth. The A1(M) completed in 1962, now allows traffic to by-pass the village.

A new church (St. Martin's)  designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, a brother-in-law of Lord Lytton, was built in New Knebworth and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Albans in November 1915. An extension was completed in 1964.

Knebworth boasts 3 inns:- The Roebuck at Broadwater is the eldest, possibly dating back to 1420; the Lytton Arms, Old Knebworth, circa 1840, (the present building was erected in 1887), and the Station Hotel built in 1883.

More than 70 clubs and organisations are listed in the current Knebworth Directory, and there is a wide variety of shops and businesses centred around the main London - Stevenage Road

MORE INFORMATION

Knebworth - The story of a Hertfordshire village

Source:
"Knebworth - The Story of a Hertfordshire Village."
by Frank A. Richardson
(Available from Village News newsagents £2.00)

"Coming Race" Buy the book: "The Coming Race" 
by Edward Bulwer Lytton
Knebworth House - Home of the Lytton Family since 1492 Buy the book: 
"Knebworth House - Home of the 
Lytton Family since 1492" 
by Sibylla Jane Flower
"That Odd Rich Old Woman" Buy the book:
"That Odd Rich Old Woman
Elizabeth Barbara Bulwer-Lytton 
of Knebworth House 1773 - 1843"
by Jane Preston.
Stevenage Road Click here to see Photos of the Village
Map of Knebworth

Location: Click on image to enlarge
Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.

 

Top

 
Contact us
 
 

Tel: 07836 735391

 

Click Here
to send Email

 
To contact Knebworth Parish Council please email
Claire Graham, Parish Clerk
.
 

Web Tips

  Click for Web Tips
 

Useful information for using websites

 

Who said that?

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterward."

Place mouse over space below to reveal the answer

 

Spanish
proverb

 
Google

Home ] Directory index ] Information index ] Photo Gallery ] French Connection ] [ Local History ]

 

Copyright © 2000-2009. Website designed and maintained by wise.co.uk. All rights reserved.